Pink Floyd founder Roger Waters ‘salutes’ Stanford divestment bill

To the Associated Students of Stanford University (ASSU),

1 March 2013

Dear Members of the ASSU,

I have read with great interest, and some quickening of the heart, the eloquent and very thorough document that deals with divestment from companies that profit from The Occupation of Palestinian lands, submitted to the ASSU for consideration next Tuesday.

‘We The People’, if I may adopt that conceit, thank the authors for their forthright and considered plea to you, to vote to encourage the Board of Trustees of Stanford University, to stand by the promises enshrined in The Constitution of The United States of America, and repeated at the founding of this University, that ‘all men have inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness’. These are the rights being denied, at this moment, to the Palestinian people.

I will not presume to add comment to the document, it stands well enough alone. However, I will say this. People often ask me, “Where are the young today”?

Back in ’68 they were trampled by police horses in Grosvenor Square, clubbed outside the Democratic Convention in Chicago, shot down at Kent State, in Paris they tore up the cobbles from the streets. Where are they now?

Today, they are here, in Stanford University. They are the thin end of a wedge of freedom that grows day by day, and we are very proud of them. The class of ’68 salutes you.

With great respect,

Roger Waters

P.S.

Anyone not conversant with the facts of the matter could visit: Roger Waters speech at UN 29th of November 2012.

In 2004 after the re-election of G.W. Bush, somewhat in disgust and despair, I wrote a poem which I append here as it seems apposite:

Roger Waters Poem

Roger Waters is an English rock musician, singer-songwriter, and composer. He is best known as the bass player, co-lead vocalist, lyricist and the principal songwriter in the rock band Pink Floyd. 

2 thoughts on “Pink Floyd founder Roger Waters ‘salutes’ Stanford divestment bill

1. Pingback: Social Justice Activists Worldwide support the ASSU Divestment Bill | STATIC

2. Pingback: Stanford Divestment Campaign: Bill Fails, Despite Support From Desmond Tutu … | Ubuntu in the NHS